Move over Twilight, I’ve been reading young adult books a lot lately. The common theme is werewolves in the cast of characters. A few books I have read of this theme lately:
Of course, thinking of twilight’s vampires makes me think of wonderful garlicky dip.
I’m a spinach artichoke dip addict. I could eat it on almost anything. And although it’s completely vegetarian, I generally try to avoid it. The cheese on top of cheese make it one of those unhealthy vegetarian foods. Even so, I sometimes grab a small tub of artichoke dip at the local natural food store. I pretend that it must be healthier than the restaurant version.
So I set out to make a healthier vegan version of my beloved treat. I found several options on the web, but almost all had some form of tofu. I remembered the amazing “cheeze” sauce in Oh She Glow’s Vegan Mac ‘n Cheese, and decided to work with that as a base.
I had originally set out to make an only artichoke dip, but the “cheese” mixture was plentiful enough that I added the spinach as an afterthought. It could probably be made with fresh spinach wilted.
The mixture does end up being a little on the liquid side, but allowing the mixture to sit overnight helps thicken the dip. As well as allowing the flavors to party together and blend.
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- 75-1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ whole onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drain and chopped
- 1 packaged frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Place raw cashews, almond milk, onion, garlic, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, and salt in food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Mix cashew mixture with chopped artichoke hearts and thawed and drained spinach.
- Refrigerate several hours for mixture to thicken and flavors to blend.
Can I also mention how much I love these blue corn tortilla chips? I love the contrast of the color with the dip. My hubby loves them too. I had been planning on using the chips as props for these pictures, but they had gone missing. I had to rescue the dregs of the bag from his grip. He’s getting pretty used to my props excuse.
Other vegan spinach artichoke dips
- Oh She Glow’s Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Eden’s Food Blog’s Hot Spinach-Artichoke Dip
- Ganesha’s Guide Infamous Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Choosing Raw’s Vegan Artichoke and Spinach Dip