If you have ever seen my amazing raw blueberry cake balls, you might think that no-bake vegan is difficult and time consuming. It can be when there is soaking and freezing involved. But it can also be remarkably simple and quick.
I’ve been making Angela’s 5 Ingredient No Bake Date Squares since I started trying out deliberately vegan foods. They are always a huge hit among my running, hiking and healthy living crowd. None of these people are vegan, all love them. Seriously, they threaten to take the whole platter back home with them if it’s left unattended.
I found myself wanting a little more topping with a little less almonds. I also found apricots to be too sweet to eat on their own as a snack and there’s only so much date flavor a girl who didn’t like dates can take. So I decided to make apricot squares.
I also love the color of these squares. A little bit of orange to brighten the table.
I’m not going to lie, these are not date free. Can you guess where the 16 dates are hidden?
There are 13 dates in the crust and topping and 3 dates in the apricot filling.
I do highly recommend using Medjool dates. Yes you have to pit them, but the extra step keeps the dates moister.
Recipe: Easy Apricot Squares
Summary: Adapted from: Oh She Glows’ 5 Ingredienet No Bake Vegan Date Squares
- 3/4 cups whole raw almonds
- 3/4 cups raw cashews
- 2 cups regular oats (for Gluten-free, use GF oats)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 13 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil
- 12 oz dried apricots
- 3 dates
- 1/2 cup water
- Line a square pan with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process the almonds, cashew, salt, and oats until a fine crumble forms.
- Add in the dates and process until crumbly again.
- Melt the coconut oil and add to the mixture and process until sticky. Adjust oil if you feel it is too dry. (I found that I didn’t need much)
- Remove dough from the processor, set aside 3/4 cup of the mixture for later.
- Press the mixture very firmly and evenly into the pan.
- Place your apricots, 3 dates and water in processor and process until a paste forms. Stop and scrape down the sides of the bowl often.
- Scoop out the apricot mixture onto the crust and gently spread until even.
- Sprinkle on the 3/4 cup of mixture you set aside on top of apricot mixture and gently press down with fingers.
- Refrigerate in the fridge until firm for at least 1 hour, preferably overnight. Can also be frozen before slicing.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegan
Number of servings (yield): 12
The best thing about no-bake, no oven on to heat up your home. And placing them in the freezer gives you bursts of cold air when you open the door. It’s a win-win situation!
I’ve submitted this post to Simply Indulgent Tuesdays. Check out other great recipes.
Do you have a favorite no bake dessert? Share it in the comments below.